Wednesday, August 1, 2012

MURPHY's Mentorship

When you are needed, it is time you take that thinking cap off and jump to the rescue of your Airmen.  It is an utmost privilege for an Airman to ask you for advice, more or less consider you a mentor.  A mentor is different in everyone’s eyes, and it is most definitely not something you would deem yourself.  It is defined as a wise and trusted counselor and teacher; an influential sponsor or supporter.  Now, although I have self-doubt in my personal life sometimes, I can say without reason I am Sh*t Hot in my professional life.  Although we experience the same things in both realms, when we think with our Heart and or our Mind, we can come to different conclusions on how we handle a situation.
So let’s begin with some mentorship.  Respect from a person is something that is earned not given.  You wear the rank on your arms, to not only direct the mission, but because you earned that status.  Set your standards high and hold your Airmen accountable when they are not meeting them.  They may not understand at the time, and you may not have very many friends, but in the end, they will appreciate you later.  Unfortunately, you have no choice of your supervisor.  Sometimes, more often than not, it is someone who you learn from both positively and negatively.  But isn’t that life?  Learning from what we experience.  We tend to hold onto those values, and lead with them.  Why is that? Well bottom-line, it is passion.  When you feel passionate about a subject, your job, your subordinates, you are more likely to defend the issue.  If you are this Passionate Supervisor, spread your wealth to the best of your abilities.  But know, you can’t allow yourself to spread yourself to thin.  You can’t solve everyone’s problem, and my biggest lesson to offer is you can’t fall on every sword.
In any profession you have leaders and followers, and leaders can take place in many forms.  They can be honest leaders, self-righteous leaders, silent leaders, etc.  If you are a leader, I ask you carefully evaluate what type of leader are you?  Develop upon that type of leadership style, and ultimately take care of your Airmen.  For example, I would hope you never become a self-righteous leader, but if you are, then at least take care of your Airmen as you step on others to get where you want to be.  But if you a stand in the front leader, I am going to lead type of leader, then know you will always Battle Mountains.  I am unsure why this always is, but others are very insecure when they see someone that is doing something they are unable to do.  One of my favorite mottos is, “If you’re talking more about me than yourself, than obviously I am doing something right.” 
I have also learned that you can confront problems head on, and the situation does not diffuse but only gets worse, so that is why I suggest you pick your battles wisely.  A problem leaders have is over burdening our other leaders.  We lean on Airmen who we know will get the job done.  Why is that you ask? Well because the mission needs to get done, and the operations tempo is so high often, unfortunately we don’t have the time to get out and coach.  How can you change this trend? MENTOR your NCO’s.  When you get to a status where you are able to do this, empower your personnel and rate them accordingly when it comes to their evaluations.  If they don’t measure up they are not a 5.  Like I tell my Airmen, there is nothing wrong with being Average, a 3 isn’t a bad thing.  If you come to work and do your job, then you are average.
Now my advice is going to be a struggle for my younger Airmen (Capital A’s).  I know, because I write from experience.  Experience of being treated unfairly, getting sick of it, and going to my Chief to handle the situation.  Did it ever really help? No I don’t think so.  It just created more conflict in the workplace.  So I would recommend that you analyze the situation clearly.  If it is something that is affecting you, communicate the problem.  Explain to your supervisor, you are over burdened and although you would love to take on that project, you don’t have the time.  Document every time they ask you to do something and what happened to protect yourself, because there are some leaders out there that will get offended by you taking care of yourself and try to use it against you.  Secondly, don’t get caught up in the drama.  Go in, do your job, lead with pride, smile with confidence, and you will be okay.
Another issue I have seen is shadiness in the workplace.  Personnel throwing each other under the bus, and or gossiping.  I recommend you handle this swiftly if it deals with your subordinates, and always with a witness.  Give a verbal warning first, and document thereafter.  If the person is willing to go further with it, you have witnesses and documentation to back you. And if your leadership still doesn’t support you, well, you may have to swallow the experience and just move on.  Even as a SNCO, I get knocked down sometimes. 
My last advice, is TAKE CARE OF YOURSELF AND YOUR FAMILY FIRST!  Work within your limits and never take your work home.  If you had laundry to do, would you bring it to work? NO…so leave it at the door.  Your home is your solitude. Let it be such.  Don’t spread yourself to thing, and NEVER, NEVER, try to change yourself for someone else.  You won’t succeed, because you were born that way.  If you are motivated, stay that way, in the end, it will pay off.
HUA! Out….

No comments:

Post a Comment