Monday, August 27, 2012

As one person I cannot change the world, but I can change the world of one person..Myself


In commemoration of women’s equality day, which was my yesterday by the way, but I was too busy, deployed thousands of miles away from my two children that I raise in an independent household, working on my Master’s degree homework, facilitating my overall success, to truly appreciate where we were to where we are now.  In the past 100 years or so, women have not only proved we can do it on our own, but more than often want to do it on our own.  We no longer rely on our partners to bring home the bacon, and provide for our families.  To me this is a sad realization.  Call me old fashioned, but the ability to know that I could depend on someone is something I have never experienced, and I look forward to the day that a Man gives me this.  My dependency is not what every woman would want, and can be defined in much different roles.  I am handful, so staying home for me is not an option.  But my partner would understand this and give me that balance I long for. Now don’t get me wrong, I am very appreciative that I have a voice, and I have the opportunity for success, and in a perfect world Women are “equal” when compared to a man.  As I walk around downtown here and see women completely covered head to toe out of respect to their husband and religion, I am so thankful I was born in Palo Alto California. Many women before us endured pain and suffering to get where we are now.  Think…Just 80 years ago a woman could not vote, could not get a divorce without being castrated from society, and could not even think to raise to the position a man would in his lifetime.
The ceiling has officially been cracked, yet, what many don’t see, or possibly don’t care to see, is it still looms over us.  That doesn’t slow us down, nor should it. Oh No, but it does bring a bias that a man does not experience, nor never will understand.  I state these reasons, so if it ever crosses your mind, you can check yourself and carefully evaluate that a successful PERSON, did it on their own and not because of their looks or who they know and their Gender. It is 2012, and a woman has to work her tail off to get the same respect that a man can get and you will always be judged because that is society.  If you are strong and opinionated, you are chasing an award, a rank, a position, or merely kissing your way to the top.  This is so absurd.  When a man does this he is merely great at what he does.  However my leadership style does not focus on the problem.  LETS BRING ON THE SOLUTION…You need to know you…If you know what you do is truly genuine, then it doesn’t matter what someone thinks of you. Continue to do you…Because in the end, you will reap the benefits when it is time. 
So when evaluating the SOLUTION and not the PROBLEM, the first thing we must do is not allow ourselves to think that EVERYONE thinks that our successes are because we are a woman.  Take out your looks, take out what you have done, and take out what people think about you.  You are successful because what you put forth in today’s Market, Air Force, and your home life.  Success can be defined differently, and we are all successful in one way or another.  If you are a stay at home mom, you are successful, if you are married and you and your partner care for your family you are successful.  If you are single and working your tail off you are successful. Don’t let another person’s perceptions of your lifestyle choice define your success. Only how you view yourself is what matters.
Ultimately, my last pieces of advice for you are Be Yourself and know your self-worth.  When you decide to put yourself out there, you will experience judgment, but what you need to be secure with is how you are putting yourself out there, and how does it benefit you or the others around you. We are all uniquely beautiful and this will be noticed.  Sometimes, it’s your outer appearance, sometimes it’s what is on the inside. But no matter what, someone appreciates it.  Don’t let it be your crutch.  Don’t pull back because you are afraid that someone is judging you for it. You will always be judged.  I leave you with these thoughts…Remember never let anyone make you feel less and low because no one has the right to do so.  People will always point out your faults, and hesitate to point out your attributes. You were born to be real, not to be perfect. You're here to be you, not to be what someone else wants you to be. Stand up for yourself, look them in the eye, and say Don't judge me until you know me, don't underestimate me until you've challenged me, and don't talk about me until you've talked to me. And lastly…Be Yourself, everyone else is taken

No comments:

Post a Comment