Monday, December 24, 2012

Fairytales boil down to timing and love

Last night I attended a wedding of a friend’s friend. I had no intention going to a wedding, and diffidently was not dressed for this type of event. Wearing yoga pants, chucks, and a trademark scarf I decided what the hell, it might be fun.  When I walked in, the DJ was playing Disney instrumentals, and my friend explained that groom had proposed at Disneyland when the fireworks exploded.  Having been to Disneyland I imagined what a memorable night that must have been for these two.  The groom was an average looking man, and the bride was a petite beautiful woman.  She recently had tried out to be a raiderette for the Oakland raiders sometime last year.  In less than 10 months, her world had turned around.  I was told that sometime this last year, the bride and a lot of her friends had gone out.  She had a crush on a co-worker and he would not pay her any attention.  But shortly after she had met her soon to be husband.  The couple hit it off, and now tonight they were sealing their fate with her finalizing her vows stating you are my lover, my best friend, my soul mate. Seeing how pretty she was I thought, what the hell was wrong with the guy who blew her off?  I just was amazed. Having been married myself, nothing scares me more than the idea of getting married again, and when asked by people if I would get married again, I often say no, but sitting in this wedding made me yearn for that feeling again with someone.

As I watched this woman who looked so beautiful walk down the aisle to her enamored husband, I thought to myself, wow this was a quick relationship.  In my past, I have talked to people for more than a year and nothing arose out of it, and here they are getting married and getting ready to spend the rest of their lives together after a short  10 months.  And let’s say the person you love isn’t close to you.  Well I have met couples who have had long distant relationships going strong after 4 years. What this unfolded to me is that it’s not the circumstance you are in, it simply is the person.  I have always heard one person will always love the other more than one.  But I think when you meet that special person; there is nothing that slows down the process of love. Why would you settle for a love you have to chase, when you could have a love that wants you more and more each day.
One thing I have worked on in the past 2 years of singleism is being patient.  I no longer fret if I don’t hear from someone, as I know if it was truly the time, I would not be waiting, they would be pursuing me. In this holiday season, I think it is important to really look at what matters to you.  There are a lot of us singles out there and really because you haven’t met the one doesn’t mean they are not out there, you simply aren’t ready to pursue something that you really are not ready for. We all want to be loved, feel loved, and have that physical connection with someone; it’s what drives us out of the arms of someone we truly want to be with and into the arms of someone else at times.  If we are not finding what we are looking for in one person, we look elsewhere. This could be because of personality differences, different places in life or simply distance. The important thing to remember is you are not alone. Many of us are still looking for that special person to share our lives with.  All the in-between is just life’s lessons. 
I am thankful for my lessons I have had thus far. I am a better person for them personally and professionally. And after seeing such a beautiful event full of love I can’t wait to share that with someone one day. Until then, I am going to be thankful for all I have right now. My life, my children, and my career. Those are not going anywhere, and they are what I make of it.  I will continue to keep my standards high and leave those behind that leave no benefit to my life. Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you’s and yours..

No comments:

Post a Comment